FEBRUARY 29, 2024
Foot care routine to address Dry, Calloused feet.
Despite spending most of the day snug in closed shoes, our feet still manage to become dry and cracked. We would assume the our released foot sweet would keep them moisturised, right? Do your heels have scaly skin or rough calluses? I bet you’ve hesitated in wearing those cute pair of sandals, worried about your dry heels! Not to stress as we have researched some of best remedies for our feet! It’s time to step out and show of those silky-smooth soles in those beautiful sandals bae! 😘 🦶🏼
Why do we experience Dry, Cracked & Calloused heels?
The accumulation of multiple layers of thick, dry skin is the root cause behind cracks and dryness commonly noticed on the heels of our feet. Even when the surface may not initially appear dry, our feet inevitably accumulate these layers of dry skin. Some people may even experience the callusing of their heels! Without proper care, this skin can harden and eventually crack, leading to discomfort and unappealing appearances.
How do layers of dry skin keep occurring?
- Daily movement: As you walk and move around, you are applying pressure to flats of your feet, where the fat pads situated under your heels expand and experience high friction. Your body naturally thickens the feet skin as protective mechanism to prevent skin irritation or breakage.
- Unsupportive footwear: The consistent wear of shoes that are too narrow, tight, or loose on your feet increases the friction between the your skin and the material of the shoe. It is also important to note, the consistent wear of open-heel footwear like sandals also expose your skin to the air, which also dries it out!
- Feet type: The consistent wear of shoes that are too narrow, tight, or loose on your feet increases the friction between the your skin and the material of the shoe. It is also important to note, the consistent wear of open-heel footwear like sandals also expose your skin to the air, which also dries it out!
What are the consequences of leaving Calluses and Dry foot skin untreated?
While the skin on your feet may not be prominently visible to others, it should a priority when it comes to self-care as if we neglect proper care to our feet, these consequences can arise:
- Increased discomfort: Our feet are essential for everyday tasks! You can start to feel uneasiness in doing simple tasks such as walking for short distances or even standing.
- Risks of infection: Once cracks & dryness start to appear on the surface of your foot, these are appealing entry doors for bacteria to enter and catalyse further health implications.
How can I improve the Care of my Foot Skin?
1. Wear comfortable & well-fitted shoes
Invest in a few pairs of shoes that are suited to your foot shape! How can you identify which type of feet do you have? It’s best to place your foot on a flat surface and observe the inner arches of your feet. If you have more prominent arch, you most likely have more narrow feet & should browse for shoes that won’t be too loose. On the other hand, if you realise your arch touches the floor, or there is barely an arch, you probably have flat feet. Flat feet tend to be wider too, hence it is best to find a pair of shoes that aren’t too tight & have a high-arched insole.
2. Avoiding exposure of your feet
We all understand how comfortable it is to walk around all day in your favourite pair of crocs and slippers, however you must be mindful of how often you are exposing your foot skin. Constant exposure, especially during colder and drier climates will perpetuate the dryness of your feet.
3. Limit baths & showers
When your skin is exposed to lengthy showers, your feet constantly absorb the water, which can exacerbate dryness. Additionally, soaking your feet in hot water can further strip away natural oils, leaving them even more parched. Try to limit your showers to 5-10 minutes!
4. Exfoliate regularly
Regular exfoliation is vital to preventing the build-up of dry, callused skin on your heels. By exfoliating away dead skin cells regularly, you can effectively mitigate the continuous stacking of dry skin layers. When you exfoliate the skin of your feet, you promote skin cell turnover, revealing fresher and softer skin underneath, whereby this necessitates the better absorption of moisturising products as they penetrate more deeply into the skin and provide enhanced hydration.
It is important to ensure the exfoliation product of choice is not too rough, as harsh surfaces can even worsen the roughness of your skin. If your exfoliation is too aggressive in ingredients or the material itself, then microtears can occur causing small wounds and increase skin damage.
Just in luck for you, CheekyGlo has designed a foot-file with laser etched details to offer a gentle yet effective solution for achieving silky-smooth feet. The finely etched surface delicately exfoliates away rough calluses, layers of dead skin, leaving your feet rejuvenated and revitalised!
CheekyGlo's premium glass foot file! Unlike harsher exfoliation methods, our glass foot file offers precise control and minimal irritation, ensuring a gentle yet effective exfoliation experience suitable for all skin types. Crafted from durable glass, it can be used both wet and dry, providing versatility for your foot care routine. Plus, its non-porous surface makes cleaning and sanitising a breeze, ensuring hygiene with every use! 🦶🏼✨
5. Moisturise, Hydrate and Repeat!
We suggest you pair your exfoliation care with CheekyGlo’s Juicy Peach Body Oil as it strikes the perfect balance, providing deep hydration and nourishment without any oily feel.
To prevent the return of dry heels, consistent moisturisation is essential! Following exfoliation, it's critical to preserve the hydration of the newly revealed soft skin while also shielding it from further dehydration and environmental stressors. When selecting a moisturising product, opt for one that effectively soothes your skin's barrier without leaving a greasy residue, as excessive oiliness can pose a slipping hazard.
Infused with Peach Kernel Oil for long-lasting hydration, Jojoba Oil for ultra-softening and smoothing, and Argan Oil for strengthening skin tissues, our body oil provides deep nourishment and protection! 🍑